Sunday 7 September 2014

Long Weekend Holiday to Chiang Mai

Zip line adventures through the rain forest
Been thinking of a post on extended weekends since a while. How do you zero in on a long weekend holiday destination? The way air fares are going, international travel seems more pocket friendly now than travelling to say Ladakh or Kerala. Did you try driving down to Pune, Lonavala over a long weekend recently? I've done that and trust me it is quite a nightmare with the heavy traffic. So I am going to be on the look out for non traditional getaways and Chiang Mai, in the northern region of Thailand is one of them. 
Elephant Safari in Chiang Mai 
Things to see and Do
So here’s my two pence on Chiang Mai, a perfect choice for that 5 day, 4 night extended weekend getaway.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s Mumbai office together with the Thai Consulate in Mumbai invited me to a Chiang Mai Night Festival in Mumbai recently where a select few travel writers were invited to a Thai cuisine workshop followed by a showcase of Chiang Mai’s attractions, hotels and resorts.
A day of sight seeing in Chiang Mai’s will take you through the Chiang Mai Zoo, zip line adventures through the rain forest, an aquarium and Night Safari with a visit to the Doi Suthep temple that overlooks the entire city.

Let's talk Adventure
If you know me, you'll know that anything to do with the word adventure in it excites me! So when I read 'Swing through the wilderness a la George of the Jungle at the many zip-lining centres in Thailand,' I sure am intrigued. Besides zip lining through the forest, riding a cycle high above the trees or slide down the trunk of massive ancient trees in Chiang Mai’s forests is also on the cards. Eagle Track, also located near Chaing


For a Lazy Day 
Ok so I am the adventure addict but I like my share of lazing around too. So engaging in a culinary lesson, or spending a day at an elephant farm will be nice. And there is now way I'd end the day without a deep tissue Thai massage. 
An adorable idea for an elegant souvenir for friends back home
Thai Tourism transported a whole experience of Chiang Mai to Mumbai from umbrella painting to cultural performances, wellness and fruit carving stations. And I got a personalised Travel Diaries little umbrella too! 


Logistics 
Chiang Mai is a short 1hr 15min flight away from Bangkok at a distance of 696 kms. Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways, Nok Air, Air Asia and orient Thai airways offer frequent daily connections. The city is also accessible by rail via a daily service that plies from Bangkok Railway Station to Chiang Mai 6 times a day. 8 hours journey from Bangkok to Chiang Mai by road for a road trip you may want to do or via air-conditioned buses from Bangkok Bus Terminal on Kamphaeng Phet II Road.   

So now all that's left to do is to actually go there. Bring on a long weekend and you'll see me heading there soon. 

No comments: